Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization

From: glpk xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 07:31:03 +0100

Hello Harley,

GLPK not being threadsafe is hindering integration into other tools as well as
reducing solution speed for MIP problems.

The issue has been recurring for many years, and obviously is an issue for
enough users to deserve being fixed.

In your mail you indicated some necessary work steps. I see the following
additional work:

Currently GLPK has one environment structure which holds all memory references
and which is destroyed in case of an error. To make GLPK thread safe it is
necessary to have separate environment structures for each instance of a the
GLPK problem object (glp_prob). This has implications on several API functions,
e.g. glp_free_env, glp_error_hook, glp_malloc. Furthermore all functions
calling xerror or xassert will be affected.

The effort needed is considerable and hence I appreciate your idea to develop a
solution in a community working environment. Before starting I would be
interested to hear about Andrew's vision for GLPK.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt

-------- Original-Nachricht --------