Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:19:26 +0000

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:45:49 +0000, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I agree that you need namespaces and XML schemas.  This is only a stopgap
> measure to provide half-baked "support".
>
> If you construct a DTD which has all the elements from all the schemas
> involved, complete with their prefix, then you might be able to use that. Of
> course, this means that you need to decide on a prefix for your documents.
> But at least you could get tags completion this way.
>
> I agree that it is painful, however, to construct a DTD for all mixtures of
> schemas that you might need.  However, maybe you can get away with making
> ONE DTD that contains ALL schemas that you work with.

Theoretically that is certainly doable; pragmatically I'm not sure it is. It
would take me simply ages to compile this one great big DTD, and then on
publishing all the documents would have to have their DTDs changed again, to
something which isn't specific to my system (admittedly that's pretty simple
but a pain nonetheless). As the W3C publishes new applications at a rate
of knots these days I'd be spending more time trying to maintain my super DTD
then I would working!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. It will certainly be worth bearing in mind
if no other solution looks likely.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com