Re: Emacs pager?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs pager?
Date: 19 Dec 2002 00:30:46 +0100

Da Witch <heather710101@yahoo.com> writes:

> Many of the commands to move around a buffer viewed with less are the
> same as vi commands.  It would be nice to have a less-like pager that
> felt like Emacs.  Is there such a thing?
>
> (Of course, one *could* just use Emacs as a pager, but Emacs takes too
> long to load up to be convenient.)

emacsclient

From: David Masterson <dmaster@synopsys.com>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: 18 Dec 2002 16:20:19 -0800
Sender: dmaster@DMASTER-LAP
        <x5k7ipl35x.fsf@lola.goethe.zz> <061220020416350201%ajanta@no.spam>
        <slrnav1ed1.ho.smullerin@esb.bbn.com> <m2hedrm4oc.fsf@owlbear.local>
        <071220021155280606%ajanta@no.spam> <5ld6obj8il.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>
        <091220021652087216%ajanta@no.spam> <vf3cp5ix2u.fsf@rpc71.cs.man.ac.uk>
        <111220021101520860%ajanta@no.spam> <111220021253524057%ajanta@no.spam>
        <5l65u0i8zj.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu> <111220022053507599%ajanta@no.spam>
        <87u1hjdwta.fsf@hurd.crasseux.com> <121220021324043990%ajanta@no.spam>
        <m3el8iar9g.fsf@mika.informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
        <171220021132381961%ajanta@no.spam>
        <mailman.343.1040149880.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
        <ulm2ocm2f.fsf@synopsys.com> <841y4f3eu2.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology

> David Masterson <dmaster@synopsys.com> writes:

>> That's not a solution.  For instance, if a package does not come in
>> RPM form, then the RPM package manager is not a solution for me.

> It seems that the "checkinstall" tool might help.  Doing
> "checkinstall make install" will do whatever "make install" does and
> create an RPM from it.  (Actually, it asks you whether you want
> *.deb or *.rpm or a Slackware package.)

Nah.  That's really for the O/S distributions to do (or anyone who's
attempting to create a "package").  I'm merely suggesting two things:

1. If a program can do a "make install", it should have a "make
   uninstall" to go with it.
2. To allow for source removal, "make install" should install an
   uninstaller (like this: "make -n uninstall > uninstaller; install
   uninstaller").

I've worked on UNIX distributions that don't use things like RPM, DEB,
and so on.  That was okay as all I wanted to do was download the
program, configure it, install it, and remove the excess (source).  At
some point in the future, I (or my successor) might want to remove the
installed program.  That's where having an uninstaller in #2 to
unambiguously list what needs removing comes in.

This is probably more of a GNU tools (autoconf/automake) issue, but
GNU Emacs has in the past used a highly hacked configure tool (does it
still?), so it might apply here as well.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.