Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)

From: Ajanta
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:59:19 GMT

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:

> Well this is a different issue. Clutter for me is a problem in user
> space... In space managed my the machine (like for instance a make
> file installed emacs), I couldn't care less about duplication, or
> clutter. Computers don't get confused by clutter.

However, since computers are there for users, there is bound to be some
overlap. One might want to know just what commands are there in one's
various bin's, what they do, who put them there and why. In tricky
situations the only way to understand a program better may be to
actuallly browse its directories and files, so clutter there would
hurt.

You are talking about the visible "living room" clutter. But there is a
different kind of clutter too:

You go to a closet to pick up a tool but that place is a mess with
hundreds of scattered functioning and non-functioning gadgets, some for
110 V, others for 220 V. When you browse your shelves for information
you see a jungle of papers in 47 languages, 46 of which make no sense
to you. Etc.

Why? Every worker who comes to do something is in the habit of
demanding your master key and rearranging your shelves and closets,
throwing out and putting in whatever he wants, and then just leaving.
You don't know what the heck went on and he doesn't have time or
inclination to bother informing you.