Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 13 Jan 2004 08:48:03 +0200

> From: LEE Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 12 Jan 2004 18:59:26 +0100
>
> Select text
> in xterm,  and C-y  in Emacs (or  middle-click) while seeing  the text
> still highlighted in xterm.  Emacs  pastes from the king-ring, not the
> selection.  With the text  still highlighted in xterm, middle-click on
> other apps and they all get the highlighted text from the xterm.
>
> Worse yet,  this behaviour  is quite random  (to me).   Sometimes, C-y
> does  paste   from  a  selection  (form   whatever  other  X-clients).
> Sometimes, it  just pastes  from the kill-ring,  as if there  were not
> selections  at all.  I  still haven't  figured out  the rules  of when
> Emacs behaves one way and when the other.  So, to me it's "random".

Someone needs to debug this.  I don't think I've ever seen that on
any of the machines I work on.

The only issue that comes to mind is that of non-ASCII characters in
the X selection: perhaps some of the other applications encode
selected text in a way that Emacs doesn't understand/support, or use
some X selection type that Emacs didn't support (or still doesn't; you
didn't say which version you are using).

In any case, if this randomness is the kind of problems the OP was
dealing with (I kinda understood that in the OP's case, Emacs _never_
took text from the X selection), the proper place to report and
discuss it is on gnu.emacs.bug or emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (the
latter for the CVS versions), not here.