Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:59:18 +0100

Quoting Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>:

> "gamename" <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I normally run emacs inside a vnc session with "blackbox" and the
> > desktop manager.  Is there any way to simply use Emacs as the desktop
> > manager instead?
> >
> > -T
>
> I probably don't understand your problem.  But why not using Emacs
> without X, just as a terminal application?  When enlarging the
> terminal to full-screen voilà your Emacs-window-manager 8-).

You lose some hundred possible colours for highlighting plus a set of benefits
from being an X application.

You can indeed drop the desktop manager, Emacs or (heresy) not Emacs, there's
something called shell that does all a DM does plus more :)

Emacs does all that a DM does and more too :)
--
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____