Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:51:54 +0200

On 5/3/07, Kim F. Storm <no-spam@cua.dk> wrote:

That's the "risk" of free software ... somebody taking what you've written,
modify it (as the license permits), and release it as a modified version,
offering you (and everybody else) the patches to make your version "comply".

Let me see... Hmm... I think I already knew that :)

I don't see how someone using the freedom of GPL should be accused of
being destructive, just because he does something you don't approve of.

I think it is destructive. I don't think it is destructive "just
because" I don't approve of it; I think it is destructive because
developer resources are scarce. I'm sure the XEmacs folk are a bunch
of very nice guys, but I see the GNU Emacs/XEmacs split as destructive
all the same.

And BTW, perhaps you skipped the following bit from Lennart to Eli, or
you do not consider it relevant:

And I have told that many times, in different words. Still you
are continuing saying that I am "actively promoting a variant
of Emacs". In my opinion that is a bit destructive.

Are you going to call him to task, too, for describing Eli's opinion
as destructive...? :)

I can fully understand why Lennart would prefer his changes to be adopted
into the core (it's no fun to maintain your "own distro")

Of course. I, personally, have committed changes *by* Lennart *to* emacsclient:

2006-11-22  Lennart Borgman  <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>

       * emacsclient.c: Include <stdarg.h>.
       [WINDOWSNT]: Include <windows.h>.
       (w32_check_console_app): New function.
       (message): New function.
       (decode_options, print_help_and_exit, fail, main)
       (initialize_sockets, get_server_config, set_tcp_socket)
       (set_local_socket, set_socket): Use message().

so it's not like I'm opposed to either Lennart or Lennart's ideas. I'm
just disagreeing on some of them (and his timing).

then IMO it is
fine -- and fully legal -- for him to make his own distro.

It is of course fully legal (at least once he made the source tarballs
for some utilities more readily accessible). "Fine", well, that's your
opinion. Mine is different.

BTW, IMO, Lennart is doing a fine job of helping getting the 22.1
release out by providing (unpatched) W32 binaries for all the pretests.

Yes. I don't remember ever saying otherwise. "Unpatched" being the
operative word in your comment above.

            Juanma