Re: Charset problem

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:43:35 +1000

Christian Schröder <chschroe@math.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I think this is your problem, right there: on a Posix locale, Emacs
>> disables all its automagic for non-ASCII characters, and expects you
>> to tell it explicitly what to do, which is a pain.
>>
>> Can you set up an ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-10 locale?  If not, why not?
>> I'd expect that users in Germany use a German locale.
>
> As far as I know I have to set the "LANG" or "LC_CTYPE" environment
> variable, or is there any other way to change the locale?
> After setting LANG to "de_DE" (-> export LANG=de_DE) the output of "locale"
> is as follows:
>
> LANG=de_DE
> LC_CTYPE="de_DE"
> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE"
> LC_TIME="de_DE"
> LC_COLLATE="de_DE"
> LC_MONETARY="de_DE"
> LC_MESSAGES="de_DE"
> LC_PAPER="de_DE"
> LC_NAME="de_DE"
> LC_ADDRESS="de_DE"
> LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE"
> LC_ALL=
>
> The locale "de_DE.ISO8859-15" (as Peter suggested) doesn't seem to be
> available on my system. At least it is not in the list that "locale -a"
> prints and no directory of this name exists under /usr/lib/locale.

Depending on your Linux distro, the additional locale files may be in a
separate package. On some systems, they even have C shared libraries with
non POSIX/C support in different packages. It is also possible that you
need to create the locale files. Unfortuatnely, as different Linux distros
tend to do this in different ways, I can't be more specific other than to
suggest you look through the packages that are not installed and see if
anything looks relevant i.e. look for packages with terms like locale,
makelocale etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au