Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:12:10 -0800

On Nov 15, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Xah wrote:

On Nov 15, 1:23 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
From:Xah<xah...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:18:31 -0800 (PST)

• clicking on the file name should not switch buffer.

That's not the file name, that's the buffer name.

please get the over all picture, not bone picking.

As for what it should do, I don't see why your preference is better
than the current one.  Popping a menu requires another click to
actually select a buffer, whereas the current behavior does it in one
click.

typically, a user has several user buffers open, and as far as i guess
many programers who use emacs extensively has like hundreds of buffers
open. Cycling them one by one is not much useful.

Counting emacs's own buffers, those info, messages, scratch,
completions, grep output, shell output, C-h f and friends output,
dictionary lookup output, ispell output, man page output ... etc...
these are typically looked once and not useful afterwards. Switching
and cycling thru them are not much useful.
I basically agree with this stuff. I doubt many hardcore Emacs users choose to switch buffers this way, which requires using the mouse. And the part of the behavior that is least useful is that the switch is blind - you don't know what buffer you're going to get unless you know the current state of the buffer-list.

My objection is to the idea that you don't want star buffers in the list. These are also used for interaction with external processes: *ssh: host*, *SQL: foo*, *Twit-recent*, *compilation*, *shell*, *Python*. It seems ill advised to exclude those from the list.

• Minor mode should not be displayed in mode line. It's confusing. For
one reason, it by default selectively display only some of the minor
modes currently on, and the selective process is not something people
who intuitively understands. For the other reason, Emacs's technical
concept of Minor mode is somewhat confusing. Most minor modes in
practice are Preferences settings (Mac-speak) or Options (Windows-
speak and Linux Desktops) from user point of view.

Where would you suggest showing this information? Some minor modes change Emacs' behavior significantly. For example: auto-fill-mode or abbrev-mode. If these aren't in the mode line, where do you find this information?

• Clicking on the major mode name should pop up a contextual menu to
let user switch to major major modes.

Switching a major mode is a very rare command, so having this at your
fingertips makes no sense, IMO.

switching between modes is not rarely used. I'd estimate it is used
every other hour at least.

Can you describe the use case where you do this? It sounds like you have a configuration issue, honestly.

I think the only time I manually switch modes is when I need to use *scratch* for something, e.g. I'll switch to emacs-lisp-mode if I want to eval some code, sql-mode if I want to write a query, etc.

I should probably write some functions to give me *lisp* and *SQL* buffers with the appropriate mode.

 - Ian