Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Rajinder Yadav
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:36:24 -0500

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20 2010, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Andrea Crotti
>> <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why, does visualstudio integrates with the gnu tool chain :O?
>>> I guess not, but that's what I understood from your sentences...
>>
>> no i wanted emacs to integrate with the gnu tool chain
>>
>>> Anyway with Cedet you can do a lot of stuff.
>>> It doesn't however generats any makefile, but if you learn to write them
>>> is not time wasted at all...
>>
>> yes i already have cedet installed and working, but i would rather not
>> write makefiles by hand. i understand there is also autoconf that can
>> be used to generate makefiles, possible that's a better way to go,
>> still i don't feel like investing the time to learn about autoconf at
>> this point and time
>
> There's no reason to write Makefiles by hand now that Emacs can do it
> for you.  M-x ede-new to create a new project (choose a "Make" project),
> then M-x customize-project.  For simple projects it is tons easier than
> creating a Makefile by hand, especially considering all of the targets
> that EDE gives you for free.
>
> Plus, creating a project teaches Emacs how your project is organized.
> Not only does this allow you to easily run the build from inside Emacs,
> but it allows you to query and search your files by project as well.

Thanks Jason,

I knew there had to already be a way! What is EDE? Does it come with
CEDET or Emacs? I don't know much about CEDET yet other then I like
the syntax highlighting it gives me =)

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1