Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: rusi
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:27:04 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for asking this question -- its of much concern to me also.

On Jun 18, 7:32 am, S Boucher <st...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.

I started gnu-emacs in 93 or so (must have been version
19.something).  Earlier ('88) with pc-scheme I used edwin which was
like a cut-down emacs.

> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.  Most places I work, I'm in
> the minority - and that's an understatement - as an Emacs user.
>
> I learned Lisp because of Emacs and it's a cool language, but almost no one
> cares to learn Lisp.
>
> I can't live without Emacs, but in some areas Emacs tend to be lacking.
>
> As I just noticed that Emacs 24 is now stable it still amazes me that there's
> still a lot of development going on, considering my sense of isolation as an
> Emacs user, and the impression that Emacs users is a dying breed.
>
> Since this is a help group, am I required to end with a question mark? :-)
>
> Regards,

Do you think it may be good to trifurcate your 'question-mark' into
these 3?
1. Revitalizing the emacs user base
2. Revitalizing the developer base
3. In the light of the huge changes in technology and 'demographic
profile' of computers and their usage from 1980s to now, rethinking
the priorities/direction of emacs