Re: beginner questions

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:48:20 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Emacs generally tries to make it so that what you see is all there is
> to see.  So while it may perform extra edits for you, it should always
> be immediately visible on screen.  IOW as long as you look at your
> screen, you should immediately see when something's going on.

Just had an hour-long battle with an exception to that rule!

I yanked from google/firefox and pasted a link into org-mode/emacs.
When exported to html that link was having some junk character(s) that was
giving a broken link on being clicked.

Naturally my mind was going along the lines "bug in org exporter..."

Cut down the org file to a single header and the link. No luck

Switched from org to fundamental mode -- same -- no character in the link in
emacs but some junk on html-export.

Finally switched to vi. It showed me:
[[http://cs.brown.edu/people/pw/papers/monist.ps<200e>][Philosophical diffs
between OOp and FP]]

200e??? What the hell...
Asked emacs to describe-char (the nothing at that point!) and that is something
called 'left-to-right-mark'

So humble request: Please show what is there!

Emacs version 23.4.1