Re: Options

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Options
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 20:11:34 +0100

On 2015-01-26, at 13:30, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a brand new emacs installation in my new Kubuntu
> system, and I want to change a couple of things, but
> can't work out how.
>
> I would like to change the length of the lines to
> more characters; and I would like to change the
> highlighting colour to yellow instead of white as it is.
>
> How do I do these things, and make them permanent? I can
> of course drag the emacs window wider but that has to be
> done every time.
>
> Thanks for any help here.

Welcome to Emacs!

Try M-x customize.  If you don't know what `M-x' means, try the built-in
tutorial (it's somewhere in the menu and AFAIR on the splash screen -
I have both disabled;-)).

Also, you might want to look at the Emacs Wiki
http://www.emacswiki.org/, the Emacs.SE http://emacs.stackexchange.com/
and (last but not least) the built-in Emacs manual (C-h r).

Also - for starters - Mastering Emacs http://www.masteringemacs.org/
from Mickey Petersen and Sacha Chua's site http://sachachua.com are
valuable resources.

Hth,