Re: Options

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Options
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:52:31 +0000

Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a brand new emacs installation in my new Kubuntu
> system, and I want to change a couple of things, but
> can't work out how.
>
> I would like to change the length of the lines to
> more characters; and I would like to change the
> highlighting colour to yellow instead of white as it is.
>
> How do I do these things, and make them permanent? I can
> of course drag the emacs window wider but that has to be
> done every time.

I use the command:
(setq initial-frame-alist '((menu-bar-lines . 1)
                            (top . 5) (left . 300)
                            (width . 80) (height . 39)))

This is pretty-much the same as editing the value 'initial-frame-alist'
using customize.

As Marcin Borkowski mentions X determines the very first placement of
the window.  Emacs only moves the window when it reads the init file.
That means if you use the line above or customize you'll see your Emacs
window move during Emac's startup.  I don't mind that but doing it
through X solves this.

BR,
Robert Thorpe