Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 10:15:24 +0100

> Indeed, the participation would be needed. So start
> with the Emacs SX! But the sx.el people already did it
> (tho I didn't got it to work myself). But because they
> already did it (not NNTP perhaps but something to the
> extent of what we discuss)

It's the Stackexchange API.

> I'd say the "all-in",
> nested thread post/comments blog idea is more
> interesting and beneficial to the Gnusers around the
> world...

I've toyed with the idea of combining sx.el with some sort of mailbot,
so that each question on Emacs.stackexchange gets sent to some list,
and if people reply to that list the bot would post the reply to the
site (using sx.el).

Issues with this are:
1) I've no idea how (and no time) to write a mailbot.
2) It would have to be VERY smart about which replies it posts and be
moderated. The SX API has a very incisive “Quality of Content” clause,
which indicates the bot might get banned quickly if it's just posting
random comments everywhere.
3) On SX, it's possible to call's someones attention by directly
@naming them. I'm not sure how the bot would handle these
notifications. I think the only answer would be someone with a lot of
common sense (possibly the same who moderates item 2), would manually
check all notifications.