Re: Using 'git bisect' to pinpoint errors in .emacs. Was: Fatal error 11

From: Vegard Vesterheim
Subject: Re: Using 'git bisect' to pinpoint errors in .emacs. Was: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 07:40:01 +0000

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 16:35:48 +0200 Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> wrote:

> Vegard Vesterheim wrote:
>> Since I have my .emacs in git, it was simply
>> a matter of supplying a small script that
>> triggered the error to the 'git bisect run'
>> command.
>
> Interesting. And what small script was that, if
> I may?

When calling 'git bisect run' you are supposed to supply a script which
exits with code 0 if the source code is good, and exits with a code
between 1 and 127 (inclusive), except 125, if the current source code is
bad/new.

In my specific case, I discovered that simply creating two consecutive
frames caused a segfault. So I created this script:

----- snip - snip -------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
emacs -f make-frame-command -f make-frame-command -f kill-emacs

if [ "$?" -ne '0' ]; then
    exit 127
fi

BTW, I compiled the latest emacs source from git, and observed that the
bug is present also there.

I guess I should take another stab at identifying a minimal
configuration which can be supplied with a proper bug report.

--
- Vegard V -