help-gnucomm

RE: Some questions

From: IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R
Subject: RE: Some questions
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:24:33 -0800

David:

        I myself at one point did try to deploy gnucomm (for testing)
and found it quite difficult to even figure out which libraries and
files were needed to complete and install.

        I spent almost two weeks trying to get the correct libraries and
such installed to no avail. Gnucomm is VERY, VERY difficult to make
work, dispite my attempting to have tried to achieve such an install
ever since Linuxworld where I first heard about it in August of 2001.

        I suggest if you intend to use it, it is a very difficult
product to make work (if you get that far, I did not, I gave up in
frusteration). It seemed (from the documentatioin and such) to be a
powerful product, but I am used to (with my busy schedule) installing a
package via a few RPMs not having to figure out what libraries are part
of the OS and such. I eventually gave up.

        I do hope you have better luck, and I do also think gnucomm is
powerful, but its (at least then) documentation was deplorable and left
me flailing with no completed installation.

        I have since switched to RedHat (was using Mandrake), which may
have been part of the issue, but documentation was certainly difficult
to even figure out without oodles of time, something I rarely have.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
address@hidden
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, January 14, 2002 6:14 AM

On
> Behalf Of David
> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 6:03 AM
> To: gnucomm
> Subject: Some questions
>
> I am trying to understand some more about gnucomm.
>
> I was wondering if I could ask some questions. I have read most of the
> information that I can find and would like to clarify a few things.
>
> Your http://www.gnu.org/software/gnucomm/overview.html document
indicates
> that you will have a gatekeeper. Have you approached openH323 with
respect
> either re-licensing or even dual licensing their Open H323 software?
Would
> this in fact help? I would have thought it would provide not only a
basic
> protocol stack but a number of other associated programs covering both
> protocol monitoring and end point clients.
>
> On the topics of Service activation and service assurance does the
GNUe