help-gnucomm

Re: Some questions

From: Rich Bodo
Subject: Re: Some questions
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:39:40 -0800 (PST)

David,

        There is not much development going on in the GNUComm
        architecture at the moment.  GNUComm is a very ambitious,
        long-term project, that will be most practically useful in
        coordinating the development of several individually useful
        programmable servers.  The idea is that these servers, such as
        Bayonne, will be required to interoperate and, in some cases,
        share application code.  To help that happen, documentation,
        applications and libraries coordination will be developed in
        GNUComm.  We have a roadmap, but the only completed server
        that is in use at the moment is Bayonne.

        As far as choosing a gatekeeper.  I don't think H.323 will
        re-license, but that's not a problem.  We can still
        communicate with non-gnu software, we just can't link with
        it.  There are plenty of GPL'd SIP stacks out there, so they
        may be more helpful in the long term.  I'm more concerned at
        the moment with getting Bayonne apps developed, but scratch
        your own itch.  If you've got some ideas or some code, I'd be
        happy to put it in a contrib section.

        When I say I want to allow the user with low-end hardware an
        option, I am, of course, being practical.  If you take care in
        the design, it is possible to add support for say, voice
        modems, to an enterprise class application.

        Working with GNUe is a long-term goal, primarily to share
        application and data objects.

        As far as scalability and monitoring are concenred, that's
        what the various data buses are for in the architecture
        diagram.  Bayonne already has an experimental data-redundancy
        bus, and there has been some work done on the trip server.  We
        have to crawl before we can walk, though.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | address@hidden | 650-964-4678