Re: GRUB can't chainload Windows under Secure Boot

From: Giovanni Santini
Subject: Re: GRUB can't chainload Windows under Secure Boot
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 14:18:56 +0100

Il 08/12/2016 14:01, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

> There are two preloaders (loosely calling shim also preloader). Linux
> Foundation's one overrides standard security protocol, so assuming
> this was successful, it should be fully transparent. Another one is
> shim, which installs additional protocol and needs explicit support to
> call it. All distributions I am aware of are based on shim, and so
> carry additional patches to grub.

I am using Linux Foundation's PreLoader. It is the version signed by
Microsoft, so it is recognized properly by Secure Boot.
Also, Linux OSes (tested on ArchLinux and Ubunut) loaded by Preloader +
grub2 are run under Secure Boot properly (tested using the method at [1]).

> Yes, it should be this one. Although full patch set is rather more extensive.

Nice indeed! I will try to build it applying that patch... and hoping it
won't broke completely GRUB ;P

Will give you feedback ASAP!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Secure_Boot#Booting_archiso

--