Re: GRUB can't chainload Windows under Secure Boot

From: Giovanni Santini
Subject: Re: GRUB can't chainload Windows under Secure Boot
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 16:50:53 +0100

Il 08/12/2016 15:05, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

> Well, I do not know about Arch, but Ubuntu is using patch similar to
> openSUSE, which means - it REQUIRES shim. Patch replaces default
> chainloader command with one that calls shim and fails if it cannot do
> it. It should have provided additional one, chainloaderefi similar to
> linuxefi, instead.

I see...
>From what I know, shim is not provided by ArchLinux. The suggested way
for Secure Boot is to use Linux Foundation PreLoader and HashTool.
>From our discussion, I understood that using PreLoader doesn't involve
running it again.
So, the only needed thing to fix is the 'chainloader' command so that it
can read UEFI binaries even under Secure Boot (or provide a new one like
'chainloaderefi'), if I understood correctly.
Not sure else how to make PreLoader load other UEFI files else, as it
tries automatically to load the binary called 'loader.efi'.

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk