help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:56:50 +0200

Hi,

> Today I ended up trying to create a new LW6 homepage. Take a look:
>
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1RXOID8T
Hey, cool!

OK, here's my 2c:

Big likes:
----------

Simple design, slack CSS, perfect, I could even use that to customize the
"builtin web server" (something probably nobody tried but me but if you set
"--skip-network" to 0 (false) then LW6 will automatically start a web server
available on http://localhost:8056/ and it would be cool to have this share
the same look & feel of the official web site.

I like the two "bands" on the side, the fact you did them and you're also the
main graphics/artwork producer for the game gives sort a unity, it's cool.

The 6 screenshots, and, most of all, the introduction with "features", much
better than what's on line now. It's clearly more appealing than current
technical (cold...) speech.

Todo:
-----

I think it would be nice to have icons for the GNU/Linux & source packages
too. My opinion is that I could cut down the list of "shortcut downloads" to 6
items, the 3 you selected (.exe, .dmg, .zip with maps) and add 3 other ones,
namely the source .tar.gz (the most important one), the i386 RPM and the i386
.deb. x86_64 binaries can be dropped (as a quick link, I'll still build them
and put them in the dowbload area) in favor of nice easy to pick icons. I
attached to this mail 3 images, which I think could fit after being shrinked
and pasted in the "large button" format you use.

I suspect it would be nice to count the number of maps in "extra-maps" and
announce this to advertise the package. Something like "200 more levels!"
might sell better than "extra maps" or just "more maps".

Mixed feelings:
---------------

Purple looks nice but it has the major drawback of being... a color! I can't
remember when, but some day I switched the default LW menu from blue to black
& white. The splash screen itself is white with touches of gray, only teams
come to color it up. My belief is it's nice to have only levels & teams give a
color touch to the game, the rest should be neutral, that's to say grayscale,
else this gives sort of an advantage to a color. Sounds a little crazy maybe,
but I can't help thinking if web site is purple then purple must somehow have
an edge. Tell me what you think, for I also acknowledge black & white has its
own drawbacks, and color is usually more cheerfull.

About the video, I'll ask the question on the appropriate GNU mailing-list,
but I suspect sharing the video from LGC ain't OK, AFAIK on an official "GNU"
web site (which LW6's homepage is sort of part) it's not acceptable to link on
web sites that refer and/or promote proprietary software, plus I wonder how
embedding a flash video would be perceived. Might sound awfully picky and nuts
but there's a logic in providing only content that is freely available
readable with free plugins (free as in speech) and from sites that also
preserve your liberties. The good news is Gnash (the GNU Flash reader) reads
Youtube videos correctly so technically there's no problem, I'll keep you
informed. Having the video embedded is certainly the very thing everyone
wants, I'll do my best to overcome legal/political obstacles if there are
some.

I wish we can have this new page set up for next release, let's say we can
target september (end of, probably).

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--