help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some Liquid War 6 news
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:12:33 +0200

Hi,

> Network
> -------
>
> Thanks for the update about the network status. Big topic indeed!
>
> As I understands it, you intend to let the games internal network
> architecture be reflected in the interface: Since the network is based
> on Nodes, the concept of Nodes is used in the interface too.
>
> So instead of joining a game called Evil666livE, the player connects
> to a Node called Peter48 to which he can see that 3 other Nodes are
> connected (which indicates that a game is running)
>
> Criticism: It is way more standarized to simply use Create Game / Join Game.
Actually, the interface, as I plan it, would display current games. If nodes
1, 2 and 3 are playing together then the program actually sees 3 games but
it's able to figure out it's the same thing so it can sort them and display
only one entry. I can't remember exactly but think this is even already
implemented.

> close to the way the software actually operates. Also, it seems very
> web 2.0 that you don't join a game, but instead connects to some other
> players.
Yep, very web 2.0. We could even name this "cloud gaming" ;)

> I have to think a bit about which Node selects the maps.
Yep, too. What I came out lately was simply deciding the oldest node, in the
sense "the node that has the longest presence" would just choose.

> I guess the Nodes will be presented as a spreadsheet. Something like:
> Name | Ping | Connected nodes | Game Type | Password | Comments
I should tell you exactly which fields are in the database by now. I think
"Game Type" is not and it's interesting to have your feedback for it seems I
just missed something essential -> what kind of game are we playing? This
might be more subtle than deathmatch/time based though.

>  Misc
>  ----
>
>  Each color is now an individual team. Maybe we should drop the
> level-defined cursors, and let each color-team have their own?
Maybe. I'm ready to make the change on the code side if you wish. But we'd
better really be sure we want that change for it does have a cost (for you and
me).

> Home page
> ---------
>
> I have tried going in various directions. There is still a lot of time
> left before deadline, but I'd like to hear what you think so far.
OK, on this point I will answer next week, for some reasons I won't be able to
use megauploads until then.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--