Re: Debian shishi package bug

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Debian shishi package bug
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:31:59 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems there is a bug in the IPv6 listening code, listening to socket
> 0 sounds like listening on stdin, which would explain the Ctrl-D thing.
> I'll look into this.

> I think shishid should not start by default.  Users should enable it
> manually so they are sure they know what they are doing.  When shishid
> is more widely tested, we can revert this behaviour.

Okay, I'm going to add an /etc/default/shishid file that sets a variable
saying not to start the daemon by default and that users can change to
enable automated starting.

>> Also, if shishid isn't running, the init script stop action fails

> That sounds bad -- IMHO, the stop action shouldn't fail because the
> process had already died.

> Should we fix the init script here?

Yes.  --oknodo is needed; I'll add it.

> I used the template init script from some Debian manual, so if there is
> a problem in it, perhaps we should forward this.

Yeah, I'm pondering that.  I can see cases where this is desirable (if,
for instance, failure to cleanly stop a daemon before upgrading would
result in data loss); we just don't happen to have any of those cases.

>> which then causes all sorts of strange problems for the upgrade
>> process.  In fact, if the old shishid package is installed, it appears
>> to be impossible to upgrade the system; the package is so broken that
>> there doesn't appear to be any way to get rid of it without manually
>> removing the init script and then using dpkg --purge
>> --force-remove-reinstreq.  I think some of this may be due to a
>> debhelper bug; I'm investigating.

> Yikes, that's really bad.

> Disabling shishid by default might fix similar problems in the future.

> Removing the init script and invoking the dpkg command works here, so
> maybe this should go into the changelog?  If we can't find a cleaner
> upgrade path, that is.

With the help of the debhelper maintainer I have a fix that should work
and will be committing to CVS shortly.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>