Re: Debian shishi package bug

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Debian shishi package bug
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:31:41 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> Elrond <address@hidden> writes:

>> While we're still in this phase ("Only unstable has shishi, no
>> debian/stable"):

>> What about renaming shishid to shishi-kdc to get it in line with the
>> other kdc implementations?

>>      krb5-kdc - MIT Kerberos key server (KDC)
>>      heimdal-kdc - KDC for Heimdal Kerberos

> Makes sense.  I guess there should be an empty dummy package, shishid,
> then that is superseded by shishi-kdc, for upgrades?  I'll have to read
> up on how that works.

Transitional packages are discouraged for anything that never made it into
stable since it's another package in the archive to keep track of and deal
with.  There's probably going to be a little resistance to renaming the
package at this point without some justification, since it does make work
for the ftp-masters re-editing the override files.  I'm not sure that I
understand the motivation; if it's to make the package easier to find, I
don't think it will actually help.  apt-cache search kdc already finds
shishid due to the KDC line in the description.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>