Re: [help-texinfo] link in html without ``See''?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] link in html without ``See''?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:39:02 +0200

Karl Berry writes:

> How about @ref?

We cannot use that

     Caution: You should write a period or comma immediately after an
     address@hidden' command with two or more arguments.  Otherwise, Info will
     generate a (grammatically incorrect) period, just so the
     cross-reference doesn't fail completely.

>     Maybe HTML should be more info/wwwb-ish, and drop the ``See'' in
>     places?
>
> I don't see how we can do that.  The original sources are (should be)
> written so that the See/see is part of the sentence.

Well, using the new Emacs info renderer, *Note: already gets
stripped from @xref, as you can see from visiting node 'Two arguments'
in the texinfo manual

      You can write a clause after the cross reference, like this:

         @xref{Electrical Effects, Lightning}, for more info.

    which produces
         Lightning: Electrical Effects, for more info.

Which looks very good.  For HTML, we cannot do that in the renderer,
but why can't we do it in makeinfo?

We just need to produce a document with lots of external links,
without 'SEE'.  Before makeinfo mangled html file names (which might
be a good thing), we could work around it by using @uref and guessing
the name of the file.  Now we must some kind of @xref or @inforef, and
get broken HTML like

    property of the see <a
                    ^^^
    href="lilypond-internals.html#NoteColumn">NoteColumn</a> object
     and pitched rests can be used to override typesetting decisions.

 while info in Emacs looks fine (without the see).

Jan.