Re: [help-texinfo] Some pages in bold font in pdf - Bug ?

From: Nicolas Maufrais
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Some pages in bold font in pdf - Bug ?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 23:47:27 +0100

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 05:38:00PM -0500, John Gabriele wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> >    [snip]
> >
> >Do you have any other computers or friends you could try out the "bold"
> >pdf on?  After all, it could conceivably be a configuration problem
> >specific to a single computer.  (Not likely, but hey, anything's possible.)
>
> I just downloaded that archive that Nicolas gave the link to. It
> contained a big pile of pdf's, but I guess the page 12 referred to is
> in cinelerra.pdf (?). The doc looks beautiful to me -- I'm on Debian
> Etch, and don't see any extra boldness with xpdf or evince.
>
> I noticed a few artifacts though. Like, on p. 28 (section 6.1.5), the
> bottom of the section text seems to be shaved off.
>
> The links between sections seemed to work. I didn't notice any URL's
> in the text (but didn't look through the whole doc).
>
> ---John

John,

I did try with xpdf, and I don't see bold pages with that application.
So, the problem seems to happen only with Acrobat Reader. Unfortunately,
that's the most widely used pdf reader.

The fact that there are no bold pages with gv or pdf does not prove the
bug is in Acrobat Reader. There could be a problem with my texinfo file,
or the utilities I use to convert it to pdf. The final pdf could contain
a bug which doesn't appear with gv or xpdf, but appears in Acrobat
Reader.

For the moment, I really don't have any idea. All I know is that I'm
very satisfied with the pdf and html outputs. That boldness issue with
Acrobat Reader is the only last problem. But it's not a "blocking"
problem.

Nicolas.