Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:28:55 +0100 (CET)

>     Declarations like `char c[]'
>
> I am completely baffled.  @var is meant for metasyntactic variables,
> like nonterminals in parser rules.  That's it.

Sorry, incorrect example.  I use address@hidden' for the arguments to
functions, as
stated in the manual, e.g.,
address@hidden {Function} int main (@code{int} @code{argc}, @code{char*}
@var{argv[]})', and not for normal declarations.  I don't otherwise use
the "empty bracket" syntax.  It's hardly reasonable to expect Texinfo to
handle the more arcane aspects of C syntax automatically, anyway.

I tried address@hidden@slanted{}}', but it didn't work.  In the TeX output, it
had no effect, and `makeinfo' failed:

c:\Scantest\DOC\TEXINFO//glblfncs.texi:41: Unknown command `slanted'.

It's probably an outdated `makeinfo':  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.7
It's from MikTeX, but I have a similar problem on the GNU/Linux machine I
use.

By the way, just noticed a typo in the manual:

@slanted
rselects a slanted font;

> If you use etex instead of tex, I believe macros won't require the
> auxiliary file.  (There's no other way to get the catcodes right in
> original TeX.)

I suppose this involves setting an environment variable or doing something
similar, so that `texi2dvi' calls `etex'?  I won't do this, because I'd
still have to make sure it works with TeX for the sake of the
distribution.  I'd rather not add another prerequisite for building.  It
doesn't bother me that much.

>     Yes, with the `Top', `Up', and `Next' references inserted by Emacs'
>     `texinfo-multiple-files-update', e.g.,
>
> My advice is, don't use those.  Use implicit pointers instead (so the
> @node lines just have the node name).  Much simpler.  Assuming a
> "normal" hierarchical manual.

Just looked this up.  I didn't know about this feature.  Will give it a try.

Thanks,

Laurence