Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:58:27 +0100 (CET)

>     math mode is used for the brackets, anyway, since neither address@hidden'
> nor
>     address@hidden' causes slanted brackets to be used.
>
> texinfo.tex goes to a lot of trouble to keep the brackets upright.
> Doesn't use math mode, actually, but whatever ...

It occurred to me once away from the computer that it could just be the
characters `x' and `y' from font `z', but I suppose I could find the
"secret" by looking at the source code.  For `main' under GNU/Linux, I
might as well just use `char**'.  I've determined that the `_tmain'
function generated by MS Visual Studio also uses the `[]' syntax, and it's
not a good idea to fiddle with code generated by VS.  However, for other
reasons, I'm quite likely to be removing all Windows code soon, so it's a
moot point.

The correct formatting of `char* argv[]' and similar constructions may be
on-topic for this mailing list, but it's probably not that important in
the larger scheme of things.  I got rid of the warnings by taking the
brakets out of the address@hidden'.  The visual result is the same, and I don't
know whether getting slanted braces will be possible inside address@hidden'.

I did think that it might be worthwhile trying to format this manual in
such a way that it could serve as a model for other Texinfo manuals that
document parsers.  However, I doubt that there are going to be that many,
so it may not really be worth discussing in great detail.

Thanks,

Laurence