help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] RFC: plans for a gnome GUI [pointer]

From: kingsleyturner
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] RFC: plans for a gnome GUI [pointer]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:55:18 +1000

> this is just a pointer to the mail I wrote to the development list:
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-vcdimager/2001-May/000128.html
>
> ...if you are interested in issues concerning the future of vcdimager (and
> videocd related stuff), take a look at it :-)

G'day,

Now I don't want to start a flame war here, but IMHO Gnome support:
(what does 'Gnome support' amount to anyway - drag & drop ?!)

Using Solaris here at work, it's next to impossible to compile up
all the Gnome stuff, especially for software that simply needs
Gnome libs to compile.

I suggest that if you write anything with 'Gnome support', it should
always work (albeit with reduced functionality) without Gnome.

I'd like to put forward the case of the excellent utility xxdiff, which
gives you a nice graphical diff, coloured, and laid out side-by-side.

But you try to compile it without Gnome - no chance.  But what does it
actually get out of the gnome libraries ?  It used to work well long
before gnome was 'mainstream', but since going gnome, it's broken
without a fully-fledged gnome-lib-pack.

There's so much 'Gnome software' that gets little from gnome.
If it was just 'GTK' software it would be cool.
Does Gnome significantly exist outside the Linux world ?

anyway,
that's my 2 cents used up.

-kt