human-beings-discuss

[Human-beings-discuss] civ3, cultural influence, and balance human devel

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: [Human-beings-discuss] civ3, cultural influence, and balance human development and war
Date: 16 Apr 2002 19:44:40 +0200

Today I talked with a friend about Civilization 3.

It seems that they now have the notion of "cultural influence",
where some cities of a given civilization can be lost if another
civilization's cultural influence extend (geographically) over
them;

I find it a good idea, especially in the light of balancing human
development over pure war in strategies of players -- e.g. pure
war would lead to a large number of cities but poor cultural
influence and poor consistency across civilization, thus instable
civilization, loosing cities.

I think the balance between human/civilization development and
war is one of the critical issues of the project. We need to have
interesting war handling (e.g. far better than civ), but force
players to combine it with development, which is not
straightforward (IMO). Please comment on it if you want.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/