human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] civ3, cultural influence, and balance human d

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] civ3, cultural influence, and balance human development and war
Date: 19 Apr 2002 13:20:08 +0200

Guillaume Cottenceau <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems that they now have the notion of "cultural influence",
> where some cities of a given civilization can be lost if another
> civilization's cultural influence extend (geographically) over
> them;

After looking in the actual manual, there seems to be two
concrete good ideas to get from "culture":

- you need culture to have consistency across your civilization
  when it's large (a bit like "corruption" in Civ); if not, we an
  imagine that cities far away from capital city would
  secessionate from central power

- when you militarily conquer another city, if the culture was
  very important there, it's unstable and unproductive (because
  there is a rebel activity)

Now it brings the second problem: which size of cities and which
size of map to have. Since I wanted a bit of SimCity-like self
organization in cities, I've stated in

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/human-beings/mission_statements.html

that:

1. Simulating one large city on the map (or 2/3 cities), rather
   than many small cities, is interesting because then you can
   finely tune the insides of the city (like in SimCity but a bit
   simpler).

So this fact prevents from having too many cities on the map, and
so the problem of cultural influence and conquest of cities
becomes more problematic.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/