Re: [igraph] compilation on Mac OS X

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] compilation on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:03:19 +0100

Hi Mark,

> Thus, I expect to be able to build the library with GMP
> support but I receive the following error after make:
> ld: pointer in read-only segment not allowed in slidable image,
I haven't seen this error message before, but I'll try to find out
what's causing this. How did you install gmp? I think it's not part of
the standard Mac OS X Snow Leopard distribution.

> I was able to build the library after disabling GMP but it
> would be nice to have it.  Also, I don't understand why
> GraphML support is turned off since libxml2 is supposedly
> included with this version of OS X
Yes, it is, but igraph also looks for a script called xml2-config which
is used to figure out the compiler switches needed to link to libxml2
properly. This script is not shipped with OS X and I didn't notice it so
far since I installed libxml2 from Fink back in the old days and the
Fink version does have xml2-config.

I'm attaching a "fake" xml2-config file which makes use of
/usr/lib/xml2Conf.sh. Put this somewhere in your path, make sure that
the OS finds it (e.g., by typing "which xml2-config" in the command
line) and reconfigure igraph. Let me know whether it works or not -- if
it does, I'll try to incorporate this somehow into the next release.

> Finally, I'd love to be able to build my application to
> run on several versions of OS X but the configure script
> doesn't recognize the command line arguments to allow
> this.  in particular, I'd like to be able to specify
> extra compiler flags like so:
> ./configure CFLAGS=-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4
>
> Is that the correct syntax?  Or do I need quotes?
Errrm... I usually do the following and this works:

CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_86 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4" ./configure

I'm not sure about the syntax you used.