Caching IMAP articles

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Caching IMAP articles
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:18:38 +0200

I'm reading mail on my laptop from a remote IMAP server. The remote
server is at home on an ADSL line which is kind of slow upstream, and
sometimes I'm even offline. So, I'm looking for a solution to keep my
IMAP server but make mail reading faster if I'm not at home. I've used
offlineimap[1] for a while but I didn't really like this setup.

Now I thought that maybe this might be doable with Gnus alone. What I
want is the following: Every IMAP message that I've read with Gnus
should be stored locally. Whenever I try to read this message again,
whether online or offline, Gnus should fetch it from the local storage
and don't contact the IMAP server again.

I've played around with various combinations of gnus-use-cache and
gnus-agent-cache but unless I set both of them to nil the IMAP groups
aren't updated by Gnus, no matter if I'm online or not, i.e. if I've
deleted an IMAP message with another client it's still shown by Gnus
although I can't select it. (Nor can I delete it from Gnus, of
course.) I'm probably missing something simple but I'm stuck.

I also have to admit that I don't fully understand the difference
between cache and agent-cache.

Thanks,
Edi.

[1] <http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/offlineimap>