Re: Caching IMAP articles

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Caching IMAP articles
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:47:42 +0200

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

>> Because disk is cheaper than bandwidth. Also because with
>> g-a-c-a-a enabled, otherwise the agent would re-download
>> articles every time, and then expire them immediately, as well.
>
> Oh I see. My guess is I am lost with all the agent, cache,
> no-cache, backlog, ... Not speaking of expiration which is
> somewhat hard to master. How do you expire articles then ?
>
> Agent doesn't expire any article in your configuration so what if
> you mark an article as expirable ?

I don't expire articles.  I think that marking an article expirable
would only do something if I have some expiring mechanism
(total-expire, auto-expire, etc) enabled, but I don't.

I'm not sure my usage is typical for Gnus, but it seems keeping a
local cache of as much as possible is a trend for other MUAs.