Re: Caching IMAP articles

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Caching IMAP articles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:20:44 +0200

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:28:39 +0200, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

> Edi Weitz <spamtrap@agharta.de> writes:
>
>> I'm reading mail on my laptop from a remote IMAP server. The remote
>> server is at home on an ADSL line which is kind of slow upstream,
>> and sometimes I'm even offline. So, I'm looking for a solution to
>> keep my IMAP server but make mail reading faster if I'm not at
>> home. I've used offlineimap[1] for a while but I didn't really like
>> this setup.
>>
>> Now I thought that maybe this might be doable with Gnus alone. What
>> I want is the following: Every IMAP message that I've read with
>> Gnus should be stored locally. Whenever I try to read this message
>> again, whether online or offline, Gnus should fetch it from the
>> local storage and don't contact the IMAP server again.
>
> These are my agent configuration to achieve this:
>
>  '(gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
>  '(gnus-agent-enable-expiration (quote DISABLE))
>  '(gnus-select-article-hook (quote (gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article ...

OK, I've tried this for a couple of days and it worked very well -
exactly as I hoped it would. Thanks!

But now I realize I need another functionality: I've grown accustomed
over the years to use my IMAP server as my organizer, kind
of. Incoming email is pre-sorted by procmail into various folders and
stuff ending up in the main INBOX is supposed to be stuff I have to
read and act upon. Once I've done that I tend to move most of these
emails into "backup" IMAP folders like INBOX.work.customer1 or
INBOX.private.other with gnus-summary-move-article (B m) in case I
need to refer to them later.

The problem: The Gnus agent settings above will make sure that I have
a cached copy of an article I've read in INBOX. But once I've moved it
into, say, INBOX.private.photography it's no longer a cached
article. Well, I know, its unmoved cousin is probably still there but
if I try to read the moved article from within the group
INBOX.private.photography Gnus has to connect to the IMAP server.

I'd like to cache this article in its new location automatically when
its moved. I see there's gnus-summary-article-move-hook but I don't
know how to combine it with gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article.

Thanks,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.