Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:45:07 +0100

Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:

> kai@emptydomain.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> What does C-h v nnmail-split-methods RET say after you have started
>> Gnus and observed that it splits fancily?  If it says
>> nnmail-split-fancy, then you "only" have to find out why...
>
> Before starting Gnus, it was a list of rules as I've been using for
> quite some time (months or years).  After starting Gnus, it was, as you
> suspected, nnmail-split-fancy.
>
> I like the use of "only"; any tips on making that easy enough to avoid
> needing quotation marks?  :-)

I have no silver bullet.  Idea:

(message "split is %s" nnmail-split-methods)
(sleep-for 3)

The above snippet can be used in various places during Emacs startup
and then you can see how the variable evolves.

Obvious places are ~/.emacs and ~/.gnus, and I'd try the beginning and
the end first.

I hope that it happens from one of these two files.  If it doesn't,
then (mapcar 'car load-history) (evaluate it with M-: or by typing it
into the *scratch* buffer and then hitting C-j, or by way of M-x ielm
RET) gives you a list of files that Emacs has loaded.

Please report your findings.  I'll try to come up with useful advice
depending on those findings.

Apologies if all of this was obvious.

Kai