Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:58:12 GMT

kai@emptydomain.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> (message "split is %s" nnmail-split-methods)
> (sleep-for 3)

As I understand it, that should pause for 3 seconds, displaying "split
is <somethingorother>" in the minibuffer, right?

When I put it in my .gnus in several places -- beginning, middle, near
the end -- I don't see any messages.

When I put it near the beginning of my .emacs, I get

,----
| (C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe)
|

| An error has occurred while loading `c:/.emacs':
|
| Symbol's value as variable is void: nnmail-split-methods
|
| To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
| of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
| Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
| backtrace
`----

When I put it late enough in my .emacs, I still don't see anything, but
it at least runs.

After Emacs is fully loaded, nnmail-split-methods has a value that's a
list of lists for splitting.

When I start Gnus, I still don't see the display, but
nnmail-split-methods ends up being set to nnmail-split-fancy.

Afterwards, (mapcar 'car load-history) gives a list that's not too
meaningful:

("dabbrev" "newcomment" "bbdb-gui" "bbdb-hooks" "gnus-cite" "gnus-async"
"gnus-bcklg" "gnus-ml" "gnus-topic" "nnfolder" "nndoc" "pop3" ...)

given that it's truncated.

I then looked at the value of load-history.  While it's 2207 lines long,
searching for spam-stat turned up

,----
|   (autoload . nnvirtual-find-group-art)
|   gnus-cache-open gnus-cache-close gnus-cache-save-buffers
gnus-cache-possibly-enter-article gnus-cache-enter-remove-article
gnus-cache-possibly-remove-articles gnus-cache-possibly-remove-articles-1
gnus-cache-request-article gnus-cache-possibly-alter-active
gnus-cache-retrieve-headers gnus-cache-enter-article gnus-cache-remove-article
gnus-cached-article-p gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles
gnus-summary-limit-include-cached gnus-cache-change-buffer
gnus-cache-member-of-class gnus-cache-file-name gnus-cache-update-article
gnus-cache-possibly-remove-article gnus-cache-articles-in-group
gnus-cache-braid-nov gnus-cache-braid-heads gnus-jog-cache
gnus-cache-read-active gnus-cache-write-active
gnus-cache-possibly-update-active gnus-cache-update-active
gnus-cache-generate-active gnus-cache-generate-nov-databases
gnus-cache-move-cache gnus-cache-fully-p
|   (provide . gnus-cache))
|  ("c:/.gnus.elc"
|   (require . spam-stat)
|   my-spam-stat-learn)
|  ("c:/.spam-stat.el")
|  ("spam-stat" spam-stat-file spam-stat-install-hooks
spam-stat-unknown-word-score spam-stat-max-word-length
spam-stat-max-buffer-length spam-stat-split-fancy-spam-group
spam-stat-split-fancy-spam-threshhold spam-stat-syntax-table spam-stat-dirty
spam-stat-buffer spam-stat-buffer-name spam-stat-store-current-buffer
spam-stat-store-gnus-article-buffer spam-stat spam-stat-ngood spam-stat-nbad
spam-stat-good spam-stat-bad spam-stat-score spam-stat-set-good
spam-stat-set-bad spam-stat-set-score spam-stat-make-entry
spam-stat-compute-score with-spam-stat-max-buffer-size spam-stat-buffer-words
spam-stat-buffer-is-spam spam-stat-buffer-is-non-spam
spam-stat-buffer-change-to-spam spam-stat-buffer-change-to-non-spam
spam-stat-save spam-stat-load spam-stat-to-hash-table spam-stat-reset
spam-stat-score-data spam-stat-score-word spam-stat-buffer-words-with-scores
spam-stat-score-buffer spam-stat-split-fancy spam-stat-process-directory
spam-stat-process-spam-directory spam-stat-process-non-spam-directory
spam-stat-count spam-stat-test-directory spam-stat-reduce-size
spam-stat-install-hooks-function spam-stat-unload-hook
|   (provide . spam-stat))
`----

in the early part.  It appears as if it's picking up an older, compiled
.gnus.elc instead of my .gnus.  I'll delete that and try again.

... and that worked!  I thought Emacs took the latest version, compiled
or not.  Perhaps it only compares .el and .elc files, not .gnus and
.gnus.elc files?

At any rate, the suggestion to look at load-history was just what I
needed; thanks!  Assuming I don't find anything else strange, I think
I'm back and running again.

Bill
- --
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA
http://facilitatedsystems.com/                  phone: +1 425 337-5541