kawa-commonlisp-dev

Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] GSoC Ending Soon

From: Jamison Hope
Subject: Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] GSoC Ending Soon
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:22:11 -0400

On Aug 12, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

On 13 August 2012 01:25, Jamison Hope <address@hidden> wrote:
How do you think you're doing in terms of having a finished set
of work to show on that day?

I'll have stuff to show, I'm still concerned about the presentation,
i.e., it being to monolithic. I'm guessing the one-and-only patch I
sent you a while back was too big to be seriously considered.  I'm not
sure how to make that one any smaller due to it mostly being a
movement of hundreds of type declarations from one file to another.

I think it's more about number of logical changes per patch vs. number
of lines changed per patch.  I know it's a bit of revisionist history,
but it'll probably read better if the patch of moving-gobs-of-stuff- from-
Scheme.java-to-LispLanguage.java contains *only* that.  Any other little
changes that happened at the same time should go in a separate patch,
either before or after.  If that's too tricky to make work, though
(probably entails manual file editing and not just svn incantations),
then just do what you can.  Perhaps have the Scheme/LispLanguage changes
in one patch, then other file changes in separate patches.

I've been meaning to mention to you, I plan on taking a holiday around
Europe for a couple of weeks after the GSoC (GSoC success or not, this
isn't a plea to pass me!). The reason I bring it up is that it might
interfere with the merging process. I haven't bought any tickets or
anything concrete like that yet, thought I'd check first. Would it
cause too much disruption? Of course, as long as I'm not captured by
pirates or something, I look forward to continuing with Kawa when I
return.

Oh I was kidding about getting back to work the week after.  Feel free
to take as much time as you want.  Per's the Keeper of the Repository,
so we'll have to coordinate actual check-ins with him, anyway.  AFAIK,
the only thing you're required to do after the 20th is to submit code
samples to Google.

The timeline page on Melange says "Students can begin submitting required code samples to Google" on the 31st, but it doesn't actually say what the
deadline is.  Have you seen more details about it?

Anyway, as long as you don't end up missing a Google deadline, it's fine
with me for you to take as long a holiday as you want.  When does the
next school year start for you?

I'll get something preliminary sent after I've learned whatever
subversion incantations are required to summon a diff against the main
Kawa tree.

Sounds good.

Jamie

--