kawa-commonlisp-dev

Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] GSoC Ending Soon

From: Charles Turner
Subject: Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] GSoC Ending Soon
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:18:10 +0100

On 13 August 2012 13:22, Jamison Hope <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Charles Turner wrote:
> I think it's more about number of logical changes per patch vs. number
> of lines changed per patch.  I know it's a bit of revisionist history,
> but it'll probably read better if the patch of moving-gobs-of-stuff-from-
> Scheme.java-to-LispLanguage.java contains *only* that.

I'll keep that in mind. Do you think I could have organised by work
better? So if you're about to start a project in Kawa that you know
you won't be submitting patches for a while, how to you setup? IIUC,
Subversion doesn't have great merging facilities for diverged trees. I
branched at r7274, I would have liked to be able to send a "patch
stream" containing my incremental changes. That's really awkward
because change logs are such a pain in the arse, so it looks like my
best approach is to do an svn diff -r <cur rev>:7274 and go through
that, preparing logical patches. (An alternative was to diff -w -u -r
-N kawa my-kawa but that diff's all the .svn stuff as well, which is
distracting.)

All seems a bit cack-handed, any tips on how to make life easier for
future projects?

> The timeline page on Melange says "Students can begin submitting required
> code samples to Google" on the 31st, but it doesn't actually say what the
> deadline is.  Have you seen more details about it?

No, but I haven't carefully read the documents. From memory, there
wasn't any rush to submit the code samples, I intend to get one of
these pad computers to travel with, so I could place a patch file in
its disk and submit it from wherever I might be on 31st. I'll still be
"on-the-grid" so to speak.

> Anyway, as long as you don't end up missing a Google deadline, it's fine
> with me for you to take as long a holiday as you want.  When does the
> next school year start for you?

Oh good. My term officially starts on the 21st of October (aren't uni
holiday's ridiculously long :-)), but I need to find a place to live
first, which will probably occupy the first few weeks of October. So I
have the whole of September to travel, might hang around until the end
of August just to be on the safe side. I'll keep you posted.

Charlie.