koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] translation complaint...

From: Rachel Hamilton-Williams
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] translation complaint...
Date: Tue Jan 28 19:18:08 2003

Hi

> Just some thoughts.
> My main impression is though, that it is the process that is wrong, not the
> method. IE the way templates are being maintained is bad, not the idea of
> using
> templates.

Just to add to this.

The assumptions that we made at the begining of Koha probably really reflect
our bias at Katipo (as both a graphic design and programming house), and I
think that experience over the last couple of years has proved some of those
assumptions to be wrong.

First Assumption:  The way that we set up Koha for HLT would not suit anyone
else.  So not only would you not want to use the same language, but that you
wouldn't like the same colours, where things were on the page, even what showed
up on the page.  THUS we made no effort to extract the language from the HTML
(And barely from the perl, although others have worked on that) because we
assumed you would want to change *everything*.

We continue to assume that people *should* be able to change all those things
if they want to, hence the move to HTML template.

Second Assumption: There is nothing wrong with that :-)

First Surprise: People change very little.  Our bread and butter work at Katipo
is providing people with user interfaces which tailor a programme/website or
whatever to their particular "style".  I have just now actaully redone the
basic templates for the OPAC into something more "generic" because I've
realised otherwise you have a bunch of HLT clones, and that my naff code is
causing you all so much heartache.

See opac-templates.koha.org for the new look. I have *almost* all the images
out of it other than the format  ones, and I think all text is now really text.

To change the look/text of your site now you'd need to change about 10 template
files, some includes for the navigation, and the stylesheet.

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:address@hidden           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org