koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] translation complaint...

From: Andrew Arensburger
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] translation complaint...
Date: Tue Jan 28 20:34:05 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:35:22PM +1300, Chris Cormack wrote:
> My main impression is though, that it is the process that is wrong, not the
> method.
> IE the way templates are being maintained is bad, not the idea of using
> templates.

        Templates are good. They just don't go far enough, is all.
        Templates separate presentation from implementation: the Perl
coder can just make sure the code generates correct results, without
worrying whether it'll look like; and the web designer can concentrate
on the look of the site without having to look at Perl code.
        But i18n should take this one step further, and separate the
language from the presentation, as much as possible.
        I suspect that in practice, people who design their own
templates are going to use the default ones as a model: they'll
rearrange the existing elements, rather than inventing whole new
applications from scratch. Consequently, a lot of strings will stay
the same from one theme to the next.
        It would be nice to be able to take the default "look", change
the colors and logos, and magically have it work in all supported
language, even as Koha itself evolves.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
address@hidden                      views of ooblick.com