koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Perl-based gettext-like modules (was: Re: translation c

From: Andrew Arensburger
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Perl-based gettext-like modules (was: Re: translation complaint...)
Date: Wed Jan 29 19:45:04 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:44:07AM +0000, Ambrose Li <address@hidden> via
forwarder wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>,
> Benedict  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > print $lh->maketext("You won!"), "\n";
> >
> >In french it should print "Tu as gagne".
> >
> >I am just wondering where these strings would have to live...in
> >template files or in the perl scripts.
>
> Based on the example, the original English strings will need to
> live in the perl scripts.
>
> After reading the man page in CPAN, I think the translated
> strings will also need to live in a perl module.
>
> >If template files are to remain clean of any code than this
> >would not be a good idea, would it?
>
> I don't think the templates is even allowed to contain code.
> (See Q.9 in the HTML::Template FAQ in the man page.)

        Another option might be to translate the templates at
install-time, rather than at run-time. That is, the distribution only
contains the English version of "searchresults.tmpl", plus French,
Polish, etc. translation files. The installation process then
generates the French and Polish templates from these.
        It pleases me to believe that there might be a slight
performance gain from this as well.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
address@hidden                      views of ooblick.com