Re: Licensing Issues

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: Licensing Issues
Date: 09 Oct 2002 17:09:10 -0400

> Do they ask for an NDA just to be able to publish code that uses the
> (preliminary?) external interface to pistachio?

No.

> Is that interface much
> different to that which is described in the draft L4 spec that was
> announced here a while ago?

No.  My understanding is that Pistachio will be fully conforming.

> For outsiders, it looks like Neal's work is locked up
> until the time Pistachio is officially released, whenever that
> happens.

Please do not make assumptions.  My code is not impeded in any way;
it is neither finished nor in a releasable form.

> I hope that Neal will be able to publish his code soon, even if nobody
> outside the pistachio team will be able to run it for some time.

Despite having made significant progress, the code that I wrote is
just not finished.  That is far less important then the non-C
accomplishments: I have a much better understanding of the
abstractions required of the Hurd and the assumptions that we can
make.  I plan to write some of this up over the next few months.