Re: Backups vs. privacy (was Re: Directories traversal (was [...]))

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Backups vs. privacy (was Re: Directories traversal (was [...]))
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:42:50 +0200

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 02:52:47PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 28/04/2006 hora 14:01:
> > form which can be used for recovering, because we have a persistent
> > system.  Making a backup should simply consist of copying the
> > snapshot.
>
> If data is not dynamically encrypted on-disk, copying the snapshot gives
> him the ability to read your files, doesn't it?

Not if he doesn't have access to the disk.  That is, it is possible to make a
"copy" operation, but no "read" operation.  However, it is likely that in
practice he will have access to the disk (at least when the system powers
off).  But in that case, irrespective of making backups, an unencrypted
snapshot is a problem.

Thanks,
Bas