Re: Backups vs. privacy (was Re: Directories traversal (was [...]))

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Backups vs. privacy (was Re: Directories traversal (was [...]))
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:51:37 +0200

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 28/04/2006 hora 15:42:
> > If data is not dynamically encrypted on-disk, copying the snapshot
> > gives [the administrator] the ability to read your files, doesn't
> > it?
> Not if he doesn't have access to the disk.  That is, it is possible to
> make a "copy" operation, but no "read" operation.

I was just assuming that if a real backup is made, it would be made on a
separate, and typically removable, medium. One of the many purposes of a
backup can be to prevent that system's destruction could cause data
loss.

If backup is made distantly or on a removable media, backuping the
snapshot gives ability to read all files, except for data that is
encrypted in the snapshot.

In a persistent system, the problem is that nothing that is unencrypted
can be paged out or snapshot, and this could (I don't have benchmarks or
knowledge to tell) have serious performance impact.

Doubtfully,
Nowhere man
--
address@hidden