libextractor

[libextractor] libextractor-0.5.17 (win32) - extract.exe stops with erro

From: Klemens Friedl
Subject: [libextractor] libextractor-0.5.17 (win32) - extract.exe stops with error msg
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:22:09 +0200

Hi,

I have downloaded libextractor-0.5.17.zip from
http://gnunet.org/libextractor/download/win/libextractor-0.5.17.zip (
http://gnunet.org/libextractor/download.php3?xlang=English )

opening the extract.exe demo app has stopped with an error message, see below.
libextractor-0.5.17_a\bin\extract.exe

error message, translated to english:
This application cannot be intialized (0xc0000005). Click "OK", to
close the application.

original german windows message:
Die Anwendung konnte nicht richtig initialisiert werden (0xc0000005).
Klicken Sie auf "OK", um die Anwendung zu beenden.

Is this a known problem? I would like to use the libextractor libs on
win32. I have tested an older libextractor version more than one year
ago, and I had worked fine. It would be useful to test some of
libextractor features by using and modify the extract.exe demo app, to
get used with libextractor API. And later use libextractor libs in my
own application (open source, GNU GPL 2 license).

As far as I remember, libextractor has been in use mainly in Unix
world, and Win32 world is not the main target, although it would be
really helpful to have a reliable solution for Win32 world too.

Currently I have just tried out the latest compiled binaries, although
I plan to compile libextractor myself using gnu c/c++ compiler
(special mingw build).
It would help a lot all win32 users of libextractor if there would be
a seperate source code download file, where all of the preprocessing
and automatic code generation has already been done on the C & C++
code files, so they can be converted to object code directly with any
ordinary C/C++ compiler, without relying on unix command line
utilities (cygwin/etc. is sometime simply not feasonable).
I tried to compile libextractor, some months ago, although I hadn't
been successful, as it has been a kind of nightmare for me using
cygwin and several unix tools plus special text editor, etc. to
prepair the source code so that I could use it with plain default
mingw gnu c and c++ compiler, without bison & co.

Maybe it is an option for one of the next releases of libextractor, to
provide a seperate preprocessed source code package. Thank you in
advance!

Best regards,
Klemens Friedl

P.S.: I know that providing such an preprocessed source code package
is not an easy task, although writing an (semi)automatic script might
also speed up compiling of the win32 binary libs, for every release.