libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Humble Bundle

From: Laurel L. Russwurm
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Humble Bundle
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:55:02 -0400

Dear Sergio:

I myself hadn't heard of either free software or free culture until i started listening to wild ideas from Bob.  He suggested I make a submission to the copyright consultation our government was conducting at the time.   I read some of the submissions posted, and I connected what I was learning with my own experience, so by the time I sat down to write my submission it turned out that I was a copyright reformer.

(FYI: Over 8,000 Canadians made submissions, with the vast majority saying DRM shouldn't be included in copyright law but our government didn't listen, instead making the law the US told them to make.)

Anyway, copyright and free culture grew to be the primary focus of my first blog.

As a writer, my main focus is free culture, but in today's world, free culture can be choked off by copyright law and DRM.  There is credible evidence that non commercial "piracy" increases the Copyrigh Industry's sales... which means It isn't piracy that's costing them money, but loss of market  share.  I don't think the copyright maximalists real purpose is to use copyright law to stop piracy, but to stop independent creators.   When researching an early article I learned:

“Independent musicians make up about 30 percent of the music industry now. That’s $150 million going to independent artists in Canada alone.”
Eddie Schwartz, president of SAC (Songwriters Association of Canada)
http://this.org/magazine/2009/11/10/legalize-music-piracy-file-sharing/

That was in 2010; I don't know if that figure is still accurate, or if it is better or worse now.  (I'd love to know!)  What I do know is that CRIAA controlled 99%+ of the Canadian music industry before there was an Internet.

The Internet and technology have begun to free our culture from the grip of the media multinationals.  And it's all connected: if one freedom is suppressed, all freedom is endangered.  (And this is beginning to sound like another blog article... maybe next week  :)

Regards,
Laurel