Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: Robert Martinez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 20:11:58 +0200

On 25/05/12 19:04, lluvia wrote:
I hope it be as clean as the open source label.

that was my idea. I'm in the process of working on something that is (among other general design rules):

_international (avoiding letters/text)
_clean in order to perform well on small sizes, too
_black & white for optimal reproduction on any background/material
_compact to fit into vertical and horizontal spaces among text and other logos
_conveying the idea of freedom (the hardest part imho)

This is a challenge in itself, but I see the bigger challenge in the widespread adoption of the badge.
If only a handful of people use the badge - I consider it a failure.
This is why we should think of a campaign that creates motivation for projects to actually use the label. Like having a really appealing landing page, to make people feel they're not only supporting the right ethical choice, but feel good while they are doing it. (this shouldn't be the only motivation of course) By "appealing" I mean big nice typo, not too much text, friendly colors and an easy to understand message. Not like a typical page on fsf.org.

-robert