Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:47:06 -0400

Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> writes:

> On 30/05/12 01:24, John Sullivan wrote:
>> We don't intentionally make pages on fsf.org or gnu.org unappealing. We
>> hope that people will help us make them more so, rather than make new
>> pages elsewhere :). Especially when they are something so core to our
>> purpose as this.
>>
>> -john
>
> I regard this as a necessary side-effect. :D
> Pages on fsf.org have a high information value and density.
> They also need to fit into the general layout.
> So the page I have in mind is set free from those two (otherwise
> reasonable) limitations.
>
> people clicking on the label should not need to feel pushed to read on
> about the FSF, the GPL, the definition or other important issues. They
> should get a condensed and "polished" impression of what we agree to
> be at the heart of the free software.

Pages on gnu.org are just HTML, with SSI. And we have the capability to
host pages in other layouts on fsf.org when there is a good reason to.

We seem to be going in circles at this point, and you've heard my
thoughts, so I'll wait to see what you come up with. :) I think that if
you come up with a concise, attractive way to introduce the definition
of free software, then we would really like to host that on fsf.org or
gnu.org, and point people toward it, and I hope you will give us the
opportunity to do that. I also think adoption of the label would benefit
significantly from direct connection with the organization that already
maintains a very widely used definition of free software.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.