Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Harry Prevor
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 22:49:43 -0500

I agree with you (for the most part) up until here:

On 11/10/12, Bianca Gibson <bianca.rachel.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for why steam is considered good:
> Gamers hate DRM. They like playing games, DRM makes it hard. Restrictions
> on steam aren't so much considered good as less bad. You can play it on as
> many computers as you want (just need your account), it has an offline mode
> (though people hate that you have to sign in online then go offline).

I wouldn't say that people like Steam because of it's "mild" DRM. When
you think further about it, it's really not even that "mild" to begin
with. Rather, it seems like Steam supporters make up the whole "mild
DRM" argument to defend the product they like for other reasons when
someone tries to criticise Steam. It's simple: People like the games.
I wouldn't say most Steam games compare to AAA titles (although some
definitely do/are), but I wouldn't say most are hipster 2D indie
titles, either; mostly, the games are in between, i.e. small game
development studios. This actually makes sense, because a lot of Steam
users have hundreds of titles bought and AAA titles can only come out
so often. I really believe people like Steam because of the sheer
number of games it holds and the frequency at which they come out;
something that will be tough to beat with a free software equivalent.

> Comparison:
> Some DRM requires a constant internet connection for single player games.
> If you have dial up (only thing available in some areas), they constantly
> loose the connection and crash.
> Some games install root kits for DRM.
> Some games install software that has in the license agreement that they can
> pull whatever they want from the computer and send it off to the publisher.
>
> Obviously steam is less bad than some other DRM.

Actually Steam games can do all of these (maybe not the second but who
knows) -- The Steam DRM is a mandatory DRM that all games must have,
but publishers are allowed to add as much of their own DRM on top of
that as they wish. For example IIRC one couldn't play the Steam copy
of Driver: San Francisco offline because of Ubisoft's DRM on top of
Steam's (actually after looking this up online it seems like Ubisoft
updated the game to allow this, but at one point it didn't allow it).

--
Harry Prevor